Monday, September 8, 2008

Finding moments to add to my blog

One of the challenges I face in my work is keeping up to date, and writing my blog.

I view blogging and engaging in social media as an integral part of what I do as a virtual communications professional. If I don't understand it and know what it means, how will I be able to initiate strategies and lead a team in making projects happen?

I like to have something well-thought-out to say. I'm going to change this slightly, as it's inhibiting me writing posts. Sometimes it's about just starting something and seeing what happens next. Even it it's shorter.

So - I just found a great little badge on Lee Hopkin's SL blog - it's a badge that integrates with Flickr. I use my Flickr account to store all the images I take in my travels around Second Life (this too, is missing some updating!). So I've added it to my blog gadgets.

Here's to my continued blogging!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Helen,

I can relate to your situation, every shiny new online distraction (read: twitter) seems to pull me away from my blog.

Since June my postings have dropped off to one every couple of weeks and my traffic has dropped by 75%! My new mantra is post more often!!

I also need to get back to commenting. How does one find time for all of these tools!?!?!

Zaana said...

Hi Helen,

It was really exciting meeting you today and if nothing else comes of our meeting - I would like to say that you inspired me. I agree with what you have written here - as part of the information and knowledge profession myself I agree with how important it is to immerse yourself in the communications and media of your stakeholders, peers, colleagues and friends to remain current and relevant in what you do. And so you have inspired me to stop talking about it and do it! But you can't always have something profound to say - as long as you keep talking - I think that is most important. Today is the day I begin my own blog. Thankyou!

Helen Mitchell said...

That's great Zaana. I look forward to reading your blog, let me know when you've got it out there! :-)